Day Climb Equipment
Day climbs may take place several hours away from facilities, and can last from pre-dawn until late in the afternoon or through early evening. In addition to climb-specific equipment you will need items to get you through the day, such as food, water and sunscreen, and gear to protect yourself should weather set in.
- COVID-19 PACK – purchasing from Exum is highly recommended. Includes face covering (gaiter or ear loop style), one leak proof 2oz bottle of hand sanitizer, and cotton work gloves for rappelling.
- Face covering and 2 oz hand sanitizer per day (if you do not purchase a COVID-19 pack).
- Waterproof rain jacket is required regardless of time of year or weather forecast. Brief rain showers are common in the afternoon. No rain ponchos. A jacket equivalent to the Arc’teryx Alpha FL jacket is ideal – lightweight and waterproof. A limited number of rain jackets are available for rental.
- Fleece jacket, pullover, sweater, or other layer for warmth regardless of weather forecast.
- Lightweight pants or long shorts – jeans and sweatpants are not recommended.
- T-shirt (cotton is fine in nice weather).
- Athletic socks that will not slip down into your shoes.
- Gloves for rappelling (100% cotton or leather – NO polyester). Cotton work gloves suitable for rappelling are available for purchase.
- Two quarts of water (two large water bottles) per person.
- Lunch and snacks that are high energy, easy to eat, and heat tolerant.
- Dark sunglasses, sunscreen, lip balm and a hat for sun protection.
- Day pack that is large enough to carry all of the above items.
- Appropriate shoes for the climb you are doing. We will help you determine whether you need approach shoes or a climbing shoe. You can rent these from us or from the local mountaineering shops in town.
- Waterproof rain pants. A limited number of rain pants are available for rental.
- Fleece gloves and ski hat for cooler days/early mornings.
- Custom orthotics to be used in approach shoes.
- Water purification device, tablets or iodine.