Day Climb Equipment
Day climbs may take place several hours away from facilities, and can last from pre-dawn until late in the afternoon or through early evening. In addition to climb-specific equipment you will need items to get you through the day, such as food, water and sunscreen, and gear to protect yourself should weather set in.
- 2 liters of water in “Nalgene” style bottles
- Lunch and snacks that are high energy, easy to eat, and heat tolerant
- Dark sun glasses, sunscreen, lip balm and a hat for sun protection
- Appropriate shoes for the climb you are doing: approach shoes or traditional climbing shoes. We will help you determine which is appropriate. You can rent approach shoes from us or from the local mountaineering shops in town, however Exum does not rent traditional climbing shoes. You can rent climbing shoes from the local mountaineering shops. If you have your own approach shoes or wish to purchase approach shoes elsewhere, call the Exum Office first (307-733-2297) to be sure that the shoe will be appropriate. Many shoes marketed as approach shoes DO NOT have the required sticky rubber composite on the soles. We don’t want you to purchase shoes you won’t be able to use for your climb.
- Comfortable shorts/lightweight pants and a cotton T-shirt are fine in nice weather – jeans and sweatpants are not recommended
- Fleece jacket/pullover or synthetic sweater
- Waterproof rain jacket – Required regardless of time of year or weather forecast. Brief rain showers are common in the afternoon. Rain ponchos interfere with climbing harness and movement, and are not allowed. A jacket equivalent to Marmot’s PreCip jacket is ideal – lightweight and waterproof.
- Waterproof rain pants
- Gloves for rappeling (cotton work gloves are fine – leather is better)
- Day pack that is large enough to carry all of the above items
- Fleece gloves and ski hat for cooler days or climbs at higher elevation
- Water purification tablets
- Camera – light-weight, point and shoot model recommended
- Camelback or other bladder type water system instead of water bottles
- Custom orthotics can be used in approach shoes
Items Provided by Exum
The following items are provided by Exum. If you have one or more of these items, you are welcome to use your own upon signing a release.
- Belay device